DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Supreme Court says Trump can continue ballroom work as it weighs case

August 22, 2026
in News
Supreme Court says Trump can continue ballroom work as it weighs case

Supreme Court Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. on Friday allowed work to continue on the White House ballroom in the short term, issuing a stay that gives the court time to weigh an emergency appeal in a lawsuit challenging the project.

The action pauses a Friday deadline imposed by an appeals court to halt construction while the court challenge plays out. The appeals court concluded earlier this month that the controversial 90,000-square-foot addition to the executive mansion probably requires congressional approval to continue.

It’s unclear how long Roberts’s administrative stay will last, but typically such holds remain in effect for a matter of days to give the court time to fully consider the appeal.

President Donald Trump praised the decision Friday on Truth Social, saying he was “grateful.”

“The Military/Ballroom Complex being built on the hallowed grounds of the White House, which is so vital for National Security, will be THE GREATEST OF ITS KIND!” Trump said.

The Trump administration has argued that ballroom construction must go on for the safety of the president and national security.

The ballroom construction is intertwined with work on a five-story underground military complex that will feature shelters, a hospital and more to protect the president and senior officials in an emergency, the administration said in court filings. The overall project is estimated to cost $600 million, according to contracting documents obtained by The Washington Post.

Administration officials said the ballroom, which will be hardened with missile-resistant columns and a drone-proof roof, will act as a shield for the military complex and the rest of the White House more generally.

The administration has been racing to complete the project before any court-ordered halt takes effect. Officials told the Supreme Court earlier this month that construction was about “65% complete” and that about 250 workers are working 20 hours per day, seven days a week to finish.

The National Trust for Historic Preservation has sued to stop construction, arguing that Trump exceeded his authority in launching the project, which would be the biggest expansion of the White House in decades.

That argument prevailed in lower courts, which have twice ordered the White House to pause work on the ballroom while allowing construction of the underground complex to continue. But amid legal machinations, those orders have yet to take effect, allowing the administration to race forward with building.

The National Trust has questioned the administration’s claim that the entire project is needed for national security reasons and highlighted concerns about the ballroom’s impacts on the White House’s sight lines and historic character.

“To be clear, this is not a final decision on the merits of the government’s stay application, and we await further action,” the National Trust said in a statement Friday.

Trump, other officials and outside allies have publicly lobbied the justices to let the administration finish the ballroom project.

“President Trump Is Right: Judges Can’t Be Construction Foremen,” press secretary Karoline Leavitt posted on X on Friday morning, sharing a Wall Street Journal op-ed by former attorney general William P. Barr that questioned whether the National Trust had standing to sue.

Julian Mark contributed to this report.

The post Supreme Court says Trump can continue ballroom work as it weighs case appeared first on Washington Post.

Russell Brand, facing multiple rape charges, to headline voting rights event in posh New York enclave
News

Russell Brand, facing multiple rape charges, to headline voting rights event in posh New York enclave

by Page Six
August 22, 2026

Among the charming farmers markets, vegetable stands and WASP-y beach clubs of Shelter Island, there will be a somewhat unlikely ...

Read more
News

Why TikTok Therapy Isn’t Psychotherapy

August 22, 2026
News

Swiss Tourist Sentenced to Prison After Violating ‘Day of Silence’ in Bali

August 22, 2026
News

11 busted for kiddie porn on cruise ships in Boston — 3rd takedown of alleged pervs on ships this year

August 22, 2026
News

Zambia’s Democratic Facade Fractures in Post-Election Crackdown

August 22, 2026
Bill Maher Steers Clear of Trump’s Natalie Harp Dynamic After Laura Loomer Lawsuit: ‘You Handle It’

Bill Maher Steers Clear of Trump’s Natalie Harp Dynamic After Laura Loomer Lawsuit: ‘You Handle It’

August 22, 2026
Turkey Requests Netanyahu’s Arrest, Saying Israel Abused Flotilla Activists

Turkey Requests Netanyahu’s Arrest, Saying Israel Abused Flotilla Activists

August 22, 2026
Massachusetts’ Top Court Bars Statues of Catholic Saints at City Building

Massachusetts’ Top Court Bars Statues of Catholic Saints at City Building

August 22, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026