DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

National Symphony Orchestra bails on Trump’s Kennedy Center after half-century run

August 18, 2026
in News
National Symphony Orchestra bails on Trump’s Kennedy Center after half-century run

The National Symphony Orchestra (NSO) just announced its first season away from the Kennedy Center in more than half a century — a scattered, six-venue exile that comes as ticket sales at its former home have cratered.

The orchestra will split 64 concerts across venues including George Washington University’s Lisner Auditorium, the Music Center at Strathmore, George Mason University’s performing arts center, and D.C.’s Lincoln Theatre, after being forced out by a reconstruction project approved by Trump-allied Kennedy Center board members, The Washington Post reported on Tuesday.

The announcement came a stunning five-and-a-half weeks before the season’s September 26 opener — five months later than usual — after the NSO reportedly struggled to get routine budget approval from the center’s board.

Music director Gianandrea Noseda tried to put a hopeful spin on the upheaval, saying, “I’d like to think of this year of the National Symphony Orchestra as a regional touring orchestra.”

The NSO’s audience has been steadily vanishing: ticket sales reportedly plunged from 72 percent of capacity in 2024 to just 41 percent last season, per The Post, but the NSO hasn’t confirmed those figures. Former Kennedy Center president Michael Kaiser said the organization’s usual processes “don’t seem to be functioning with any kind of sensible direction right now.”

Nor is the NSO alone. A number of other performers have pulled out of the Kennedy Center in the last year, and the Washington National Opera withdrew in January.

The chaos traces back to the Kennedy Center’s 2025 takeover by a board of Trump loyalists, who added Trump’s name to the building before a federal judge ordered it removed. The board has since voted to close the complex for two years of renovations and, in an apparent workaround to the judge’s order, approved inscribing “Restored and Renovated by President Donald J. Trump” beneath the center’s signage anyway.

With ticket sales already sliding and the season’s timeline squeezed, arts administrators warn the late announcement could further depress attendance and demoralize musicians.

The post National Symphony Orchestra bails on Trump’s Kennedy Center after half-century run appeared first on Raw Story.

ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at 77 after health issues, band cancels upcoming shows
News

ZZ Top drummer Frank Beard dies at 77 after health issues, band cancels upcoming shows

by Los Angeles Times
August 18, 2026

ZZ Top is mourning the loss of longtime drummer Frank Beard, who has died at age 77 after years of ...

Read more
News

Young Americans really hate AI. These two charts show how much.

August 18, 2026
News

Did MTV Just Quietly Kill Off the VMA for Best Rock Video?

August 18, 2026
News

ZZ Top Drummer Frank Beard, the Only Guy in the Band Without the Famous Beard, Dead at 77

August 18, 2026
News

The best reading order to catch up on all 16 of Sarah J. Maas’ books before ‘A Court of Splintered Harmony’ comes out

August 18, 2026
Politics drove antisemitism probes against Ivy League schools, DOJ whistleblower says

Politics drove antisemitism probes against Ivy League schools, DOJ whistleblower says

August 18, 2026
Hayden Panettiere’s boyfriend Brian Hickerson ‘isolated’ actress from ‘worried’ loved ones before death

Hayden Panettiere’s boyfriend Brian Hickerson ‘isolated’ actress from ‘worried’ loved ones before death

August 18, 2026
‘Disney adult’ accused of stalking Peter Pan won’t stop: ‘I’m not doing anything wrong’

‘Disney adult’ accused of stalking Peter Pan won’t stop: ‘I’m not doing anything wrong’

August 18, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026