DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

U.S. Loosens Restrictions on Anthropic’s Mythos A.I. Model

June 27, 2026
in News
U.S. Loosens Restrictions on Anthropic’s Mythos A.I. Model

Anthropic and the Trump administration reached a deal on Friday to bring one of the company’s most powerful artificial intelligence models back online, after days of tense negotiations.

In a letter sent to Anthropic, the Commerce Department gave the San Francisco company permission to restore some clients’ access to its Mythos 5 model, which the government restricted two weeks ago because of national security concerns.

Talks were still underway to restore access to another powerful Anthropic model, Fable 5, and to provide Mythos to more organizations, said a person familiar with the talks, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the person was not allowed to discuss them publicly.

“Anthropic has worked with the U.S. government to address risks associated with the covered models,” said the letter, which Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick sent to Anthropic on Friday. “These efforts have yielded significant progress.”

Mr. Lutnick added that Anthropic had committed to working with the U.S. government on protocols for future releases of A.I. models.

The letter was reported earlier by Semafor.

The deal de-escalates the feud between the Trump administration and Anthropic, one of the most influential A.I. companies. But it may do little to ease concerns that the administration is intent on taking a more active role in the release of new A.I. systems.

Under the deal, Anthropic agreed to place safeguards on its A.I. models in exchange for restoring access to hundreds of clients. The Commerce Department had abruptly told the company on June 12 that it had 90 minutes to disable Mythos and Fable.

Anthropic later discovered that the administration’s concerns stemmed from a paper published by Amazon researchers that pointed to a perceived security shortcoming. The researchers were able to persuade the A.I. model to disclose flaws in bits of vulnerable software code.

Amazon did not include tests of models from other A.I. firms, some of which are capable of generating the same information, cybersecurity experts who had seen or been briefed on the report said.

Despite easing its restrictions on Anthropic, the administration’s interest in managing the release of A.I. models appears to be expanding.

Earlier on Friday, OpenAI, Anthropic’s main rival, unveiled an A.I. technology called GPT-5.6 Sol, saying it matched the performance of Mythos on standard benchmark tests used by A.I. companies. OpenAI said it would initially share the technology with only a small number of companies approved by the administration.

“We don’t believe this kind of government access process should become the long-term default,” the company said in a blog post. “It keeps the best tools from users, developers, enterprises, cyber defenders, and global partners who need them. We are taking this short-term step because we believe it is the strongest path to broader availability.”

(The New York Times has sued OpenAI and Microsoft, claiming copyright infringement of news content related to A.I. systems. The two companies have denied those claims.)

The administration also pressed Meta this week to submit its A.I. models for voluntary review.

Meta is the only major U.S. developer of A.I. technology that has not reached an agreement to voluntarily share its models with the federal government for review. OpenAI, Anthropic, Google, xAI and Microsoft all agreed to submit their models to the government’s A.I. safety group, known as the Center for A.I. Standards and Innovation.

Overseen by Mr. Lutnick, the center was created by the Biden administration to vet A.I. models and has a technical staff to lead those evaluations.

Cade Metz, Tripp Mickle and Tyler Pager contributed reporting.

The post U.S. Loosens Restrictions on Anthropic’s Mythos A.I. Model appeared first on New York Times.

Trump teases handing Scott Jennings brutal snub as insiders say ‘it’s not going to be him’
News

Trump teases handing Scott Jennings brutal snub as insiders say ‘it’s not going to be him’

by Raw Story
August 21, 2026

President Donald Trump is in no rush to hand the White House podium to Scott Jennings, and on Friday he ...

Read more
News

Grand Jury Declines to Indict Man Caught on Camera Destroying Flock Pole

August 21, 2026
News

‘The Magic Faraway Tree’ Review: A Slight, Sensitive, Inexpensive Ode to Childlike Wonder

August 21, 2026
News

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II addresses ‘Wonder Man’ cancellation: ‘The optics are obvious’

August 21, 2026
News

YouTube offers creators millions to not work with Netflix

August 21, 2026
Trump’s ballroom survives — for now

Trump’s ballroom survives — for now

August 21, 2026
‘Spa Weekend’ Review: In This Humorless Buddy Comedy, the Mediocrity Is the Massage

‘Spa Weekend’ Review: In This Humorless Buddy Comedy, the Mediocrity Is the Massage

August 21, 2026
Right-wing activist’s bizarre Murkowski trap dismantled point by point

Right-wing activist’s bizarre Murkowski trap dismantled point by point

August 21, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026