DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

UK radio station mistakenly announces King Charles’ death in on-air blunder

May 21, 2026
in News
UK radio station mistakenly announces King Charles’ death in on-air blunder

King Charles III was mistakenly declared dead by a UK radio station Tuesday in a shocking on-air blunder that left listeners stunned before the station suddenly went silent.

Radio Caroline, which broadcasts across parts of England, accidentally triggered its “Death of a Monarch” protocol due to what station bosses later described as a “computer error.”

Regular programming abruptly stopped before presenters announced that normal broadcasts had been suspended following the “death” of the 77-year-old monarch.

King Charles III in a black tuxedo with a white shirt and bow tie.
King Charles III, 77, was falsely declared dead on air by UK station Radio Caroline after a computer error. BACKGRID

“This is Radio Caroline. We have suspended our normal programs until further notice as a mark of respect following the passing of His Majesty King Charles III,” the broadcast said, according to The Telegraph. “This is Radio Caroline. His Majesty King Charles III has passed away. As a mark of respect, we will play continuous, suitable music until further notice.”

“God Save the King” then played over the airwaves before the station fell silent for roughly 15 minutes.

Station manager Peter Moore later apologized and blamed the mistake on a computer error.

“Due to a computer error at our main studio, the Death of a Monarch procedure, which all UK stations hold in readiness while hoping not to require, was accidentally activated on Tuesday afternoon (May 19), mistakenly announcing that HM the King had passed away,” Moore wrote in a Facebook statement.

“Radio Caroline then fell silent as would be required, which alerted us to restore programming and issue an on-air apology.”

An apology from Radio Caroline's Station Manager for accidentally announcing the King's death due to a computer error.
Radio Caroline manager Peter Moore later issued an apology on Facebook. Radio Caroline

“We apologize to HM the King and to our listeners for any distress caused,” he added.

The on-air announcement sparked confusion among some listeners, who later took to social media to describe their reactions.

“I dashed indoors shouting to the missus ‘He’s dead! Charlie is dead!’ She looked puzzled,” one listener wrote after the mix-up.

King Charles III and Queen Camilla on the steps of Hillsborough Castle.
Charles and Queen Camilla on day two of their royal visit to Northern Ireland, May 20, 2026. ZUMAPRESS.com

“I heard this on my car stereo as I was just leaving work and for a moment i had to ask myself whether it was true or just a sick joke,” another listener said.

“It did give me a bit of a shock, but I accept these mistakes can happen and was glad to find out it wasn’t true,” a third added.

The station did not say exactly how long the false report remained on air before staff realized what had happened.

King Charles III speaking with military personnel at Hillsborough Castle.
Charles speaks with military personnel during a Garden Party at Hillsborough Castle, Northern Ireland, May 20, 2026. via REUTERS

Archived playback from Tuesday afternoon also appeared to be unavailable on the station’s website by Wednesday.

British broadcasters are required to keep detailed procedures ready for the death of a reigning monarch, including pre-prepared announcements and programming changes. 

The awkward mix-up came while Charles and Queen Camilla were carrying out public engagements in Northern Ireland.

King Charles III and Donald Trump participate in an arrival ceremony.
President Trump and Charles on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on April 28, 2026. AFP via Getty Images

The royal couple spent part of the day in Belfast’s Titanic Quarter, where they watched folk dancers, met local performers and sampled Irish whiskey during the visit.

Charles and Camilla had also recently returned from a four-day state visit to the US, where they met President Trump at the White House.

While in New York City, Charles and Camilla paid their respects at the 9/11 Memorial, visited Harlem Grown for an event with local kids focused on urban farming and capped off the trip with a business reception at Rockefeller Center.

The king has faced repeated online death rumors since revealing in February 2024 that he had been diagnosed with cancer following a procedure for an enlarged prostate.

Buckingham Palace was previously forced to shut down a false report in March 2024 after Russian media outlets circulated claims that Charles had died.

“We are happy to confirm that The King is continuing with official and private business,” the palace said in a statement issued to Russian state-run news agency TASS at the time.

The post UK radio station mistakenly announces King Charles’ death in on-air blunder appeared first on Page Six.

Spencer Pratt reveals shocking reason he joined Republican party
News

Spencer Pratt reveals shocking reason he joined Republican party

by New York Post
May 21, 2026

Los Angeles mayoral candidate and former reality TV star Spencer Pratt is revealing the moment he decided to register as ...

Read more
News

Vice President JD Vance rebuffs question about President Trump’s stock investments, says Trump is so wealthy he doesn’t trade stocks himself

May 21, 2026
News

Zoox’s CEO said China’s EV companies have a leg up in one key area

May 21, 2026
News

RFK Jr. fires leaders of group that sets guidelines for preventive health screenings

May 21, 2026
News

UK radio station mistakenly announces King Charles’ death in on-air blunder

May 21, 2026
The EU Is Going Through a Trump-Fueled Breakup With Big Tech

The EU Is Going Through a Trump-Fueled Breakup With Big Tech

May 21, 2026
Elon Musk’s plan to keep complete control of SpaceX even after it goes public

Elon Musk’s plan to keep complete control of SpaceX even after it goes public

May 21, 2026
Bruce Springsteen takes jab at Trump, Paramount during Stephen Colbert’s second-to-last ‘Late Show’

Bruce Springsteen takes jab at Trump, Paramount during Stephen Colbert’s second-to-last ‘Late Show’

May 21, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026