DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

American Passenger Blocked From Leaving Federal Hantavirus Quarantine

May 19, 2026
in News
Passenger Ordered to Stay in Hantavirus Quarantine Despite Desire to Leave

Angela Perryman, an American passenger exposed to the deadly hantavirus on a cruise ship this month, expected a short stay at a special quarantine facility in Nebraska after her arrival last week.

On Monday, after making plans to depart, she received a federal order requiring her to stay for at least two more weeks. Health officials said they would contact law enforcement if she tried to leave.

“They are requiring us to remain in a locked facility and threatening us,” said Ms. Perryman, 47, “and denying us the right to home quarantine.”

Federal health officials did not respond to requests for comment. But the order Ms. Perryman shared with The New York Times says officials believe she would “constitute a probable source of infection to other people” if she left the facility to travel to another state.

The mandatory quarantine, citing public health law, was authorized by Jay Bhattacharya, acting director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Ms. Perryman and 17 other American passengers from the MV Hondius cruise ship are being monitored at the National Quarantine Unit in Omaha, where they arrived a week ago.

At least three people have died from the outbreak on the ship, and several more have fallen ill.

Ms. Perryman said she had been tested once for the hantavirus, and the results were negative. She is not experiencing symptoms, she said, although she did have brief conversations on the ship with a passenger who later died from the illness.

The quarantine order requires her to remain in the Nebraska facility for 21 days after her arrival, a period that expires on May 31. That three-week period is when the risk of becoming symptomatic from the hantavirus is at its highest.

Ms. Perryman said at least one other passenger in Nebraska received a similar order.

Hantavirus is a rare family of viruses carried by rodents. The World Health Organization has identified the Andes subtype, which can be transmitted between people who have had close contact, as the one that affected the cruise passengers.

Federal health officials said previously that the 18 American passengers would need to be screened and monitored for several days, but had suggested that passengers might not be required to stay for the virus’s full 42-day incubation period.

“At some point, they may be able leave their medical centers to continue quarantines at home, depending on how they are doing,” Capt. Brendan Jackson, a C.D.C. official, said in a news conference last week after the passengers arrived in Omaha and Atlanta.

He said that each would have an “individualized decision plan.”

The last time the federal government issued quarantine orders was in January 2020, when officials imposed a two-week quarantine on almost 200 people who were evacuated from Wuhan, China, where the coronavirus outbreak originated. They were held at the March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, Calif.

“Typically we don’t hold people against their will unless there is no alternative,” said Jennifer Nuzzo, director of the pandemic center at Brown University’s School of Public Health.

She said the C.D.C. could be trying to reduce the burden on local and state health departments, or ensure that if someone does fall sick from the hantavirus, they would immediately be able to receive proper care. But historically, she said, there has been a very high bar for such federal mandates.

“I could understand patients being like, ‘Listen, I’m going to be stuck somewhere for 42 days, I want to be in my own home,’” Dr. Nuzzo said. “To me, that seems like a reasonable thing to accommodate.”

Ms. Perryman is a U.S. citizen who currently lives in Ecuador, she said. She has a home in South Florida, where she was trying to go in order to isolate at an Airbnb. Ms. Perryman said she had been told that the government would provide transportation, so that she wouldn’t expose people on a commercial flight.

That changed on Sunday, Ms. Perryman said, when she and the 17 other passengers were told during a video conference call with federal officials that they had to remain at the unit voluntarily, or receive a mandatory quarantine order keeping them there.

The National Quarantine Unit consists of 20 rooms with special air-pressure systems designed to trap contaminated air. Each room has a television, Wi-Fi, exercise equipment and a large bathroom and closet. Despite the amenities, Ms. Perryman said, she would rather quarantine in a less restrictive setting.

Her quarantine order says she will be given a medical review within 72 hours, and then can appeal the order. Ms. Perryman said she has contacted a lawyer and plans to take legal action.

At least seven other Americans departed the cruise ship before it reached the Canary Islands, flying back to the United States on commercial flights before the outbreak was detected.

Those people are being monitored by their state health departments, Ms. Perryman noted. “Home quarantine is an absolutely reasonable approach,” she said.

Sonia A. Rao reports on disability issues as a member of the 2025-26 Times Fellowship class, a program for early-career journalists.

The post American Passenger Blocked From Leaving Federal Hantavirus Quarantine appeared first on New York Times.

At Cannes, the search goes on for a knockout — or at least a decent ending
News

At Cannes, the search goes on for a knockout — or at least a decent ending

by Los Angeles Times
May 19, 2026

CANNES, France — Cannes is technically half over and the hunt for a masterpiece continues. Critics on the Croisette are starting to ...

Read more
News

Justices Hint at Strains as Supreme Court Comes Under Scrutiny

May 19, 2026
News

This Pacific Island Nation Hopes You Will Call It by a New Name

May 19, 2026
News

MAGA rep loses his cool and accuses rebel Republican of ‘stumping with Nazis’

May 19, 2026
News

Federal agents raid homes of Ventura County immigration activists

May 19, 2026
Scott Jennings issues stark warning on Trump DOJ fund: ‘Makes me a little uncomfortable’

Scott Jennings issues stark warning on Trump DOJ fund: ‘Makes me a little uncomfortable’

May 19, 2026
Kendall Jenner, Jacob Elordi double date with Kylie and Timothée Chalamet

Kendall Jenner, Jacob Elordi double date with Kylie and Timothée Chalamet

May 19, 2026
Trump Threatens Iran and Then Pulls Back, All in the Same Day

Trump Threatens Iran and Then Pulls Back, All in the Same Day

May 19, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026