DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Judge Again Delays Guantánamo’s First Death-Penalty Terror Trial

May 12, 2026
in News
Judge Again Delays Guantánamo’s First Death-Penalty Terror Trial

The military judge in the U.S.S. Cole bombing case on Monday reset the start of jury selection to Oct. 19, more than 26 years after the suicide bombing in a port in the Middle East killed 17 U.S. sailors and wounded dozens of others.

Col. Matthew Fitzgerald, an Army judge, said that government agencies were unlikely to process classified evidence in time for what was to be a June 1 start date for the national security trial at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.

A Saudi citizen, Abd-al Rahim al-Nashiri is accused of orchestrating the attack on the U.S. Navy destroyer off Aden, Yemen, on Oct. 12, 2000 as an acolyte of Osama bin Laden. The death penalty case has been shadowed by the Central Intelligence Agency’s use of torture on the defendant.

Judges at the U.S. naval station in Cuba have set and then abandoned about 10 earlier trial start dates. Pretrial litigation has gone on so long, since Mr. Nashiri was charged in 2011, that three previous judges and all of the initial defense and prosecution lawyers retired from the case or left it for personal or professional reasons.

Mr. Nashiri was captured in Dubai in October 2002. First, he spent about 1,390 days in the custody of the C.I.A., which subjected him to waterboarding, forced nudity, extreme isolation, rectal and other forms of abuse, primarily in secret prisons in Afghanistan and Thailand, according to agency and Senate reports.

The Cole bombing, by two Al Qaeda recruits who blew themselves up on a small, explosives- laden skiff, was a precursor of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, and Mr. Nashiri’s case is on track to become the first capital trial at Guantánamo Bay.

A judge in each case has ruled against the use of a defendant’s confessions because they were contaminated by their years in the C.I.A.’s brutal detention and interrogation program — out of reach of the courts, defense lawyers and International Red Cross.

The defendants were moved to Guantánamo in September 2006 and interrogated by federal agents to build cases against them without warnings against self-incrimination and the right to consult a lawyer.

The Cole trial is expected to last at least six months, and would start on Oct. 19 with the military shuttling 50 U.S. officers at a time there from a pool of 350 men and women to establish a jury of 12 with six alternate members. Guantánamo is so small, a 45-square-mile base with about 4,500 residents and limited guest quarters, that it would be logistically difficult to bring the entire pool down.

Last week, prosecutors in the Sept. 11 case asked a military judge to set deadlines for starting the four-man conspiracy trial in May 2027. Prosecutors had earlier proposed Jan. 11, 2027, but concluded it was not practical even before arguing for it to Lt. Col. Michael Schrama, their presiding judge.

Colonel Schrama said Monday that he would look at setting a trial schedule after he rules on some key pretrial evidentiary motions, probably over the summer, involving Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, who is accused of being the mastermind of the plot, and two other defendants.

Both cases have dragged on so long in part because no court case in U.S. history has dealt with the volume of classified information involved in this case, which is guarding secret government activities and surveillance that started with the war against terrorism.

Some Navy shipmates who survived the Cole attack and the relatives of victims of both the Cole and Sept. 11 attacks have died waiting for the trials to begin. Family members have been traveling to the base since the arraignment in 2011 to watch pretrial proceedings.

Carol Rosenberg reports on the wartime prison and court at Guantánamo Bay. She has been covering the topic since the first detainees were brought to the U.S. base in 2002.

The post Judge Again Delays Guantánamo’s First Death-Penalty Terror Trial appeared first on New York Times.

Mexican Governor Accused by U.S. of Aiding Cartel Leaves Office, Again
News

Mexican Governor Accused by U.S. of Aiding Cartel Leaves Office, Again

by New York Times
August 23, 2026

The governor of the Mexican state of Sinaloa — who returned to office on Friday despite accusations by U.S. prosecutors ...

Read more
News

The ‘September Theory’ Says Your Summer Fling Has an Expiration Date, and Experts Agree

August 23, 2026
News

AOC announces completion of egg retrieval journey, vows to share more public updates on process

August 23, 2026
News

AOC announces completion of egg retrieval journey, vows to share more public updates on process

August 23, 2026
News

America Was on a Heroine’s Journey. What Happened?

August 23, 2026
Sophie Cunningham supporters, detractors clash outside Barclays Center during Liberty-Fever game

Sophie Cunningham supporters, detractors clash outside Barclays Center during Liberty-Fever game

August 23, 2026
Man arrested after 17-year-old killed in Riverside County shooting

Man arrested after 17-year-old killed in Riverside County shooting

August 23, 2026
Maniac fires wildly on Brooklyn Street, shooting dog that miraculously survived

Maniac fires wildly on Brooklyn Street, shooting dog that miraculously survived

August 23, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026