DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

N.Y. Archdiocese Offers $800 Million to Settle Sex Abuse Claims

April 30, 2026
in News
N.Y. Archdiocese Offers $800 Million to Settle Sex Abuse Claims

The Archdiocese of New York has proposed paying $800 million to settle claims from the 1,300 people who say they were sexually abused as minors by priests and lay staff, according to lawyers representing 300 accusers.

The archdiocese would pay each accuser at least $250,000, according to a letter describing the potential settlement that was sent on Monday to the accusers by two of the plaintiffs’ lawyers, Jeff Anderson and Trusha Goffe.

The lawyers urged their clients to accept the deal, warning that the archdiocese would most likely file for bankruptcy if they did not — a move that could prolong the litigation and reduce the size of future settlement payments.

“The archdiocese needs all survivors to agree to the proposed settlement in order for it to go forward,” the lawyers wrote in the emailed letter, which was obtained by The New York Times.

Under the proposed terms, which were presented after several months of mediation, the two sides agreed that “all survivors” with pending cases against the archdiocese must accept the settlement. The phrase “no holdouts” is written in bold and underlined.

“If there are any holdouts, the global settlement will not be consummated,” documents reviewed by The Times read, and the archdiocese and “participating parties may file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.”

A spokesman for Mr. Anderson declined to comment.

The proposal comes months after the archdiocese announced plans to drastically cut its costs to fund the settlement. In December it said it planned to raise at least $300 million and had reduced its operating budget by 10 percent. It also sold some of its most valuable properties, including its headquarters on First Avenue and the land it owns beneath the Palace Hotel on Manhattan’s East Side, which sold for roughly $490 million.

Several Catholic dioceses in New York have filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protections, including ones on Long Island and in Buffalo. None is as large or influential as the Archdiocese of New York, which represents 2.5 million Catholics at nearly 300 parishes in Manhattan, the Bronx, Staten Island and the city’s northern suburbs. The archdiocese is also one of the city’s largest landowners, with billions of dollars in real estate holdings.

In February it installed Bishop Ronald A. Hicks as its 11th archbishop, replacing Cardinal Timothy Dolan, who had led the archdiocese for more than 16 years and helped steer it through the sexual abuse settlement process. Cardinal Dolan submitted his resignation to the pope last year after turning 75, the age at which bishops traditionally retire.

Representatives for the archdiocese did not immediately respond to a request for comment. But in April, Our Town, a local news outlet, reported that church leaders were warned that bankruptcy was an option.

Under the proposed terms, the archdiocese would pay $800 million into a trust for the 1,300 survivors in two payments over 15 months. The first payment of $615 million would be made on July 27, according to documents.

Accusers would have the option of a $250,000 “quick pay” agreement or a claims review process administered by the trust and performed by a claim reviewer. The review would take into account what happened to each plaintiff and the effect it had on them.

The archdiocese would also have to publicly disclose information about the offenders and other “secret documents” that would help “better protect kids in the future,” the lawyers said. And it would be required to maintain on its website a list of bishops, priests and deacons who had been “credibly accused” of abuse, and periodically update the list with “future substantiated claims.”

Up to $100 million of the initial $615 million payment would go toward administrative costs, including the expenses of the accusers’ lawyers, $30 million for the archdiocese’s insurance counsel, and $25 million for any additional claims that could arise against the archdiocese based on the city’s Gender-Motivated Violence Act.

The archdiocese had enlisted Daniel J. Buckley, a retired judge from California, to mediate the terms of the settlement. Judge Buckley negotiated a settlement between the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and victims of sexual abuse in October 2024, resulting in an $880 million settlement — the highest single sum paid by a diocese.

One accuser, who asked for anonymity to discuss their reaction to the proposed settlement, said they felt as if they were being bullied into accepting the terms of the agreement because of the requirement that there be “no holdouts” before the offer could move forward.

Mr. Anderson and Ms. Goffe wrote that they had been in weekly mediation sessions for several months. The lawyers said they had reviewed the archdiocese’s finances, assets and the availability of insurance to achieve the “best possible outcome” for the accusers.

“If the cases against the archdiocese do not settle now, then the archdiocese will almost certainly file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy,” the lawyers wrote. “This would start a lengthy bankruptcy process resulting in several more years of fighting about the archdiocese’s assets, battling with their insurance companies, millions of dollars spent on bankruptcy costs and fees, and likely the same or worse financial outcome for survivors.”

Jeffery C. Mays is a Times reporter covering politics with a focus on New York City Hall.

The post N.Y. Archdiocese Offers $800 Million to Settle Sex Abuse Claims appeared first on New York Times.

Proteinmaxxing is reshaping L.A. dining — and pushing small restaurants to the brink
News

Proteinmaxxing is reshaping L.A. dining — and pushing small restaurants to the brink

by Los Angeles Times
August 22, 2026

It’s lunchtime at Fountain Grains & Greens in East Hollywood, a counter-service restaurant where customers increasingly prefer their rice and ...

Read more
News

Scientists Finally Discovered Why There Were No Pocket-Sized Dinosaurs

August 22, 2026
News

One killed after 18-year-old with sword attacks school in Sweden

August 22, 2026
News

Trump remakes Rose Garden with loans from secret Supreme Court megadonor Harlan Crow

August 22, 2026
News

Ex-Disney star claims Miley Cyrus used to bully her and say she needed a nose job

August 22, 2026
I’m the CEO of Outside. I bring my bike on flights, drink ketones every day, and tell my staff to get off Zoom.

I’m the CEO of Outside. I bring my bike on flights, drink ketones every day, and tell my staff to get off Zoom.

August 22, 2026
Meet the Florida architect who lost his roof at 12 — and now builds for the next Andrew

Meet the Florida architect who lost his roof at 12 — and now builds for the next Andrew

August 22, 2026
AI-Generated Children’s Stories Contain Bizarre Patterns

AI-Generated Children’s Stories Contain Bizarre Patterns

August 22, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026