DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

U.S. Prosecutors to Drop Felony Charges Against Illinois Protesters

April 29, 2026
in News
U.S. Prosecutors to Drop Felony Charges Against Illinois Protesters

Federal prosecutors in Illinois said they were upholding the rule of law in October when they charged six protesters with conspiring to interfere with a federal agent after a clash outside an immigration detention center.

That felony charge could have carried years in prison for the defendants, who included a Democratic congressional candidate, a village trustee and a candidate for county office.

But in a surprise move on Wednesday, months after the end of the immigration enforcement blitz that set off the protest, prosecutors told a judge that they would dismiss the remaining felony charges and proceed with only misdemeanors.

The decision was a significant retreat in a case that had captured the attention of the Justice Department’s highest-ranking officials and brought accusations from Democrats that prosecutors were pursuing a political agenda. It was the latest of several federal prosecutions stemming from the Trump administration’s crackdown on illegal immigration in Chicago in which charges were reduced or dismissed.

“This case has cost myself, one of my closest friends, and four others immeasurable amounts of stress, money, and opportunity,” Kat Abughazaleh, one of the defendants, said on social media after the hearing.

Ms. Abughazaleh, who lost her Democratic primary for Congress last month, described the dismissal on Wednesday as “a huge win,” but noted that she was still awaiting trial on the misdemeanor charge.

Prosecutors previously dismissed all counts against two of the six defendants. They indicated on Wednesday that they would proceed with a case against the remaining four on misdemeanor counts of impeding a federal agent.

The original charges claimed that the defendants were part of a larger group that tried to block a federal agent from driving to the ICE facility on Sept. 26. The indictment claimed that members banged on the vehicle, stood in front of it, pushed against it, and damaged a side mirror and a windshield wiper.

A spokesman for the federal prosecutor’s office in Chicago declined to comment on the decision to dismiss the felony charges.

The protest that led to the indictment was one of several tense face-offs last fall between activists and federal agents outside an immigration detention center in Broadview, Ill., a Chicago suburb.

As federal agents flooded the Chicago area, arresting hundreds of people and engaging in conduct that alarmed federal judges, many immigrants who had been detained were sent to Broadview for processing. Some of them spent days at the facility, which was designed for short stays only, and conditions were so bad that a judge ordered the government to make improvements.

Dozens and sometimes hundreds of demonstrators converged regularly outside the Broadview facility, in a crowd that often included elected officials. The small detention center, in an industrial area of a usually quiet suburb, quickly became the center of activist fury.

Some of those protesters attempted to stop government vehicles from entering or exiting the facility, while others chanted and held signs. Federal agents physically confronted and pushed many of the demonstrators, often deploying tear gas and pepper balls.

Christopher Parente, a lawyer representing Brian Straw, one of the defendants, said that he had been expecting to go to trial on the felony count. Mr. Straw is a village trustee in Oak Park, Ill.

“It was an extremely aggressive charge,” Mr. Parente said. “It didn’t make sense from the beginning.”

Mr. Parente said that the government’s prosecution had real consequences, despite the move to dismiss the felony charges.

“They silenced dissent,” he said. “In this time period for the last few months, how many people didn’t go to the protest they wanted to go to?”

Mitch Smith is a Chicago-based national correspondent for The Times, covering the Midwest and Great Plains.

The post U.S. Prosecutors to Drop Felony Charges Against Illinois Protesters appeared first on New York Times.

For Some in a Disrupted D.C., Grand Prix Is More Irritation Than Celebration
News

For Some in a Disrupted D.C., Grand Prix Is More Irritation Than Celebration

by New York Times
August 22, 2026

Downtown traffic has snarled, as crews scurry to put up barriers, weld down manhole covers and even relocate traffic lights. ...

Read more
News

Rare letters from kin of missing soldiers are donated to Gettysburg museum

August 22, 2026
News

Retired racer Jimmie Johnson credits his multimillion-dollar success to shining his shoes and arriving 10 minutes early: ‘Small things matter’

August 22, 2026
News

A Doctor Gave Us Their Take on the Viral ‘Never Broke a Bone’ Theory

August 22, 2026
News

Business-class fliers love sliding doors — but they’re causing a nuisance for airlines and planemakers

August 22, 2026
Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train

Iryna Zarutska’s family files wrongful death lawsuit alleging no security guard was on train

August 22, 2026
Why some couples are combining a European vacation with their IVF treatments

Why some couples are combining a European vacation with their IVF treatments

August 22, 2026
Carney Stands Up to Trump in Trade War Despite the Risks

Carney Stands Up to Trump in Trade War Despite the Risks

August 22, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026