DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Mexico’s Most Wanted Drug Boss Dead After Trump Threats

February 22, 2026
in News, Politics
Mexico’s Most Wanted Drug Boss Dead After Trump Threats

Mexican forces killed the country’s most powerful drug boss amid pressure from President Donald Trump to curb the flow of narcotics to the U.S.

Nemesio Rubén Oseguera Cervantes, or “El Mencho,” the leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, was killed in an operation at the cartel’s base in Tapalpa, Mexico’s Secretariat of National Defense announced Sunday, adding that it received complementary information from U.S. authorities.

American authorities had put up a reward of up to $15 million for information about Oseguera, 59, who had been indicted several times in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, most recently for conspiracy and distribution of controlled substances for unlawful importation into the U.S.

Drug Enforcement Administration
The Drug Enforcement Administration offered millions in exchange for information about “El Mencho.” Drug Enforcement Administration

“This is a great development for Mexico, the US, Latin America, and the world,” U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Christopher Landau said in a post on X. “The good guys are stronger than the bad guys.”

The operation swiftly triggered violence across Mexico, with drug cartels blocking the roads and burning vehicles in at least five states, including Jalisco. The chaos prompted the State Department to issue a security alert on Sunday, warning Americans to shelter in place until further notice.

“I’m watching the scenes of violence from Mexico with great sadness and concern. It’s not surprising that the bad guys are responding with terror. But we must never lose our nerve,” Landau said.

Christopher Landau on X
The State Department hailed the killing of Oseguera as “a great development.” Christopher Landau on X

Trump, 79, has repeatedly threatened to strike Mexico as part of his global drug crackdown.

“Would I launch strikes in Mexico to stop drugs? OK with me, whatever we have to do to stop drugs,” he told reporters at the Oval Office in November. “There’s some big problems over there.”

“We’ve stopped the waterways, but we know every route. We know every route, we know the addresses of every drug lord,” he continued. “We know their address, we know their front door. We know everything about every one of them. They’re killing our people. That’s like a war. Would I do it? I’d be proud to.”

Trump doubled down on those threats in an interview with Fox News’ Sean Hannity last month.

“We’ve knocked out 97 percent of the drugs coming in by water, and we are going to start now hitting land. With regard to the cartels, the cartels are running Mexico. It’s very, very sad to watch and see what’s happened to that country,” he said.

When asked by CNBC for clarification about those remarks, White House spokesperson Anna Kelly said Trump had “many options at his disposal to continue to protect our homeland from illicit narcotics that kill tens of thousands of Americans every year.”

Members of the Mexican National Guard and Army inspect vehicles allegedly set on fire by members of organized crime on the road between Morelia and Patzcuaro, Michoacan state, Mexico on February 22, 2026
Members of the Mexican National Guard and Army inspect vehicles allegedly set on fire by members of organized crime on the road between Morelia and Patzcuaro, Michoacan state, Mexico on February 22, 2026. ENRIQUE CASTRO/AFP via Getty Images

But Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum has remained defiant, categorically rejecting “intervention in the internal matters of other countries” after U.S. forces seized Venezuelan autocrat Nicolás Maduro at the start of the year.

“It is necessary to reaffirm that in Mexico the people rule, and that we are a free and sovereign country—cooperation, yes; subordination and intervention, no,” she said.

The post Mexico’s Most Wanted Drug Boss Dead After Trump Threats appeared first on The Daily Beast.

Timothée Chalamet and Leonardo DiCaprio both shockingly lose at BAFTAs
News

Timothée Chalamet and Leonardo DiCaprio both shockingly lose at BAFTAs

by Page Six
February 22, 2026

Sunday’s BAFTAs were pretty baffling. Especially if your name is Timothée Chalamet. In the past, Britain’s awards showhonoring the year’s movies ...

Read more
News

Thousands gather for Chinatown parade to celebrate Lunar New Year and Los Angeles

February 22, 2026
News

BAFTAs 2026: ‘One Battle After Another’ Wins Best Film

February 22, 2026
News

The Russian economy is now eating itself to death as Putin’s war on Ukraine destroys future capacity, former central bank adviser says

February 22, 2026
News

California Democrats unite against Trump, differ on vision for state’s future

February 22, 2026
Here Are the Rare Instances of Fatal Shootings by the Secret Service

Here Are the Rare Instances of Fatal Shootings by the Secret Service

February 22, 2026
Conservative ex-GOP staffer makes major prediction about Trump: ‘Removal from office’

Conservative ex-GOP staffer makes major prediction about Trump: ‘Removal from office’

February 22, 2026
‘Marcel on the Train’ Review: A Famous Mime’s Little-Known Back Story

‘Marcel on the Train’ Review: A Famous Mime’s Little-Known Back Story

February 22, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026