DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Iran’s top diplomat says he ‘probably’ will meet with U.S. envoy in Geneva

February 22, 2026
in News
Iran’s top diplomat says he ‘probably’ will meet with U.S. envoy in Geneva

DUBAI — Iran’s top diplomat says he “probably” will meet with U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff on Thursday in Geneva, following two rounds of indirect talks on the Islamic Republic’s nuclear program.

Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi also told CBS in an interview aired Sunday that a “good chance” remained for a diplomatic solution on the nuclear issue, adding that it was the only matter being discussed.

There was no immediate comment from the White House.

Araghchi’s remarks came as new antigovernment protests began in Iran, according to witnesses, as university students in Tehran and another city demonstrated around memorials for thousands of people killed in a crackdown on previous nationwide demonstrations that started about six weeks ago.

The Trump administration has been pushing for concessions from its longtime adversary and has built up the largest U.S. military presence in the Middle East in decades.

President Trump warned Friday that limited strikes against Iran are possible, even as Araghchi at the time said Tehran expected to have a proposed deal ready in the next few days.

Araghchi told CBS that Iran was still working on the draft proposal, asserting that his government has the right to enrich uranium. On Friday, he said his U.S. counterparts had not asked for zero enrichment as part of the latest round of talks, which is not what U.S. officials have said publicly.

Both Iran and the U.S. have signaled they are prepared for war if talks on Tehran’s nuclear program fail. The latest round of talks was last week in Geneva, with little apparent progress.

The U.S. has said Iran cannot have nuclear weapons or the capacity to build them and that it cannot enrich uranium. Tehran has long insisted that any negotiations should only focus on its nuclear program and that it hasn’t been enriching uranium since U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iranian nuclear sites in June.

Although Iran insists its nuclear program is peaceful, the U.S. and others suspect it is aimed at eventually developing weapons.

Talks were deadlocked for years after Trump’s decision in 2018 to unilaterally withdraw the U.S. from Iran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers. Since then, Iran has refused to discuss wider U.S. and Israeli demands that it scale back its missile program and sever ties to armed groups.

New protests in Iran

Meanwhile, Iran’s state news agency said students protested at five universities in the capital, Tehran, and one in the city of Mashhad on Sunday. The scattered protests erupted Saturday at universities following memorials for people killed in January during antigovernment rallies.

Iran’s government has not commented on the latest protests.

Many Iranians have held ceremonies marking the traditional 40-day mourning period in the last week. Most of the protesters are believed to have been killed around Jan. 8 and Jan. 9, according to activists tracking the situation.

Iranians across the country are still reeling with shock, grief and fear after the earlier protests were crushed by the deadliest crackdown ever seen under the rule of 86-year-old Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Thousands of people were killed and tens of thousands are believed to have been arrested.

Although the crackdown tamped down the largest protests, smaller ones are still occurring, according to protesters and to videos shared on social media.

During the 1979 Islamic Revolution that toppled the shah and brought the Islamic Republic to power, 40-day memorials for slain protesters often turned into rallies that security forces tried to crush, causing new deaths. Those were then marked 40 days later, with new protests.

Posts on social media Saturday and Sunday have alleged that security forces tried to restrict people from attending some 40-day ceremonies.

The U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency says at least 7,015 people were killed in the previous protests and crackdown, including 214 government forces. The group has been accurate in counting deaths during previous rounds of unrest in Iran and relies on a network of activists there to verify deaths.

The death toll continues to rise as the group crosschecks information despite disrupted communication with those inside the Islamic Republic.

Iran’s government offered its only death toll from the previous protests on Jan. 21, saying 3,117 people were killed. Iran’s theocracy in the past has undercounted or not reported fatalities from past unrest.

The Associated Press has been unable to independently assess the death toll, as authorities have disrupted internet access and international calls in Iran.

Gambrell writes for the Associated Press. AP writer Melanie Lidman in Tel Aviv contributed to this report.

The post Iran’s top diplomat says he ‘probably’ will meet with U.S. envoy in Geneva appeared first on Los Angeles Times.

Trump Considers Targeted Strike Against Iran, Followed by Larger Attack
News

Trump Considers Targeted Strike Against Iran, Followed by Larger Attack

by New York Times
February 22, 2026

President Trump has told advisers that if diplomacy or any initial targeted U.S. attack does not lead Iran to give ...

Read more
News

Australian eatery chain THISBOWL claims fifth NYC location site

February 22, 2026
News

Australian eatery chain THISBOWL claims fifth NYC location site

February 22, 2026
News

Canada’s Spirit Rises and Falls With Its Olympic Hockey Teams

February 22, 2026
News

Millie Bobby Brown shares rare photo of baby daughter to mark her 22nd birthday: ‘Grateful’

February 22, 2026
Hunter College to Review Professor’s ‘Abhorrent’ Remarks at Meeting

Hunter College to Review Professor’s ‘Abhorrent’ Remarks at Meeting

February 22, 2026
CNN Panelist Completely Loses It With MAGA Rep: ‘Be Honest!’

CNN Panel Spirals Into Shouting Match: ‘Be Honest!’

February 22, 2026
After Epstein revelations, Europe vows accountability while U.S. holds back

After Epstein revelations, Europe vows accountability while U.S. holds back

February 22, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026