DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Manhattan Hospital Ends Medical Treatment for Transgender Youth

February 18, 2026
in News
Manhattan Hospital Ends Medical Treatment for Transgender Youth

A major Manhattan hospital, faced with threats of losing federal funding, has closed its prominent medical program for treating transgender youth.

The move by the hospital, NYU Langone Health, comes after the Trump administration in December proposed rules that would pull federal dollars from any hospital that provides gender transition treatments for adolescents, such as puberty blockers, hormone therapy or surgery.

On Tuesday night, a spokesman for NYU Langone issued a statement citing “the current regulatory environment” as among the reasons the hospital had decided to discontinue its program for gender-related care for youth.

“Given the recent departure of our medical director, coupled with the current regulatory environment, we made the difficult decision to discontinue our Transgender Youth Health Program,” according to the statement, which was provided by an NYU Langone spokesman, Steve Ritea.

In an interview, the Manhattan borough president, Brad Hoylman-Sigal, said that it was his understanding that NYU Langone would no longer provide hormone treatments and other gender-related care to transgender youth.

Mr. Hoylman-Sigal said he worried that some of NYU Langone’s transgender patients would struggle to find doctors willing to continue their care.

“I’m horrified at the consequences that might result for some of these young people,” he said. “It’s crucial that they find alternative care as soon as possible, and I think it’s the responsibility of the hospitals that are ending this treatment to make those arrangements.”

Trump Administration: Live Updates

Updated Feb. 17, 2026, 10:21 p.m. ET

  • HUD opens discrimination investigation into a Muslim development in Texas.
  • With a final report in hand on the D.C. air collision, the House plans to vote soon on an air safety bill.
  • Trump hails Japan’s first batch of U.S. investments, totaling $36 billion.

In its statement, NYU Langone said that it was “committed to helping patients in our care manage this change.” It noted that there would be no effect on the hospital’s “pediatric mental health care programs, which will continue.”

The announcement did not come out of the blue. Many families with transgender children who had been receiving gender treatments at major health systems have been trying to come up with backup plans. Some have sought to continue their care with doctors outside major hospital systems or at a clinic in Brooklyn where a doctor last year said that he was willing to risk jail to continue providing care to transgender youth.

A year ago, following an executive order by President Trump that took aim at gender-related treatment for minors, NYU Langone stopped accepting new patients into its transgender youth medicine program. It also canceled appointments for new patients who were scheduled to receive implants that release puberty-blocking medication. But patients who were already on puberty blockers or hormone therapy were able to continue with their treatments, according to interviews with parents of transgender youth.

During the past year, Mr. Trump has deployed the power of the federal government to try to put an end to gender-related care for minors across the United States. The Justice Department has sent more than 20 subpoenas to doctors and clinics that perform transgender medical procedures on minors, demanding confidential patient information.

The F.B.I. has asked the public to call its tip line with information about doctors “who mutilate” children “under the guise of gender-affirming care.” And the Federal Trade Commission is examining whether “practitioners of ‘gender-affirming care’ may be actively deceiving consumers.”

A number of clinics and hospitals across the country have responded by scaling back gender-related treatments.

NYU Langone isn’t the only major Manhattan hospital with gender medicine programs for transgender youth. NYU Langone and another Manhattan health system, Mount Sinai, received subpoenas last year from federal agencies as part of inquiries into pediatric transgender medicine. Mount Sinai Health System did not respond to a request for comment regarding the status of its program.

Joseph Goldstein covers health care in New York for The Times, following years of criminal justice and police reporting.

The post Manhattan Hospital Ends Medical Treatment for Transgender Youth appeared first on New York Times.

Trump Lets Slip What’s Got Under His Skin: Wolff
News

Trump Lets Slip What’s Got Under His Skin: Wolff

by The Daily Beast
February 18, 2026

Donald Trump accidentally revealed his fears about the Jeffrey Epstein files during a rant against author Michael Wolff, who is ...

Read more
News

Conservative analysts expose ‘fundamental lie’ behind CBS News shakeup

February 18, 2026
News

Jackson’s Convention Speeches in 1984 and 1988 Were Soaring Calls for Social Justice

February 18, 2026
News

CNN Star Kaitlan Collins Reveals How Trump’s ‘Smile’ Taunt Made Her Feel

February 18, 2026
News

Ducati’s North America CEO said he hopes self-driving motorcycles never become a thing

February 18, 2026
RFK Jr. pledged more transparency. Here’s what the public doesn’t know anymore

RFK Jr. pledged more transparency. Here’s what the public doesn’t know anymore

February 18, 2026
Trilateral Talks on Russia-Ukraine War Enter 2nd Day

Trilateral Talks on Russia-Ukraine War Enter 2nd Day

February 18, 2026
With Witkoff and Kushner, Trump Bets on Diplomacy Without Diplomats

Trump Bets on Diplomacy Without Diplomats

February 18, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026