DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Austria Charges Man in Thwarted Attack on Taylor Swift Concert

February 17, 2026
in News
Austria Charges Man in Thwarted Attack on Taylor Swift Concert

Prosecutors in Austria said on Monday that they had filed terrorism and other charges against a 21-year-old man they said was a member of a terrorist group that was planning an attack on a Taylor Swift concert in Vienna in 2024.

The suspect, who was not publicly identified, professed his allegiance to the Islamic State group online, prosecutors said. The attack was thwarted but worries over safety led to the cancellation of three shows the artist had planned in Austria.

The main aim was to attack the concert, according to prosecutors, who also accused the man of downloading instructions from ISIS for a shrapnel bomb “specifically designed” for terror attacks. The suspect was charged with receiving instructions on handling and using the materials, the Vienna Public Prosecutor’s Office said.

The man is also accused of having repeatedly tried to buy firearms and a hand grenade, and instructing illegal dealers to import the weapons into Austria.

The suspect, who has been in custody since August 2024, faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted, prosecutors said.

The initial tip about a threat against Ms. Swift’s concerts came from American intelligence, Austrian officials have said.

The shows were part of Ms. Swift’s Eras tour, and had been expected to draw tens of thousands of fans.

The threat followed deadly attacks on concert halls. In 2015, an ISIS attack on a Paris concert hall and other sites killed 130 people, and in 2017, an attack on an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, England, killed at least 22 people. The bomber in the Manchester attack, who died in the assault, had links to ISIS.

Prosecutors in Germany last year charged a Syrian teenager living in Germany with helping plot the thwarted Vienna concert attack.

In that case, prosecutors accused the teenager, whom they identified only as Mohammad A. in keeping with privacy rules, of helping interpret Arabic-language bomb-building instructions and of translating an oath of allegiance to ISIS for the main suspect in the Austria plot. The teen was about 14 years old when the plot was thwarted, and he was convicted and given an 18-month suspended sentence under juvenile criminal law.

Christopher F. Schuetze contributed reporting.

Ephrat Livni is a Times reporter covering breaking news around the world. She is based in Washington.

The post Austria Charges Man in Thwarted Attack on Taylor Swift Concert appeared first on New York Times.

The Actress Shirley MacLaine Says Farted in Her Face on the Set of ‘Terms of Endearment’
News

The Actress Shirley MacLaine Says Farted in Her Face on the Set of ‘Terms of Endearment’

by VICE
February 17, 2026

James L. Brooks’s 1983 dramedy Terms of Endearment explores the complex relationship between Aurora Greenway (Shirley MacLaine) and her rebellious ...

Read more
News

The Republicans Made Peace With Science

February 17, 2026
News

What Is the Argument for Believing in God?

February 17, 2026
News

Is ‘It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia’ Really the Longest-Running Sitcom of All Time?

February 17, 2026
News

A software CEO explains why he’s not worried about the AI apocalypse coming for his industry

February 17, 2026
Democrats, It’s Time to Embrace School Choice

Democrats, It’s Time to Embrace School Choice

February 17, 2026
Lunar New Year 2026 Eclipse:  Here’s how to set intentions for this ‘profound spiritual portal’

Lunar New Year 2026 Eclipse: Here’s how to set intentions for this ‘profound spiritual portal’

February 17, 2026
Is Jerky Good for You?

Is Jerky Good for You?

February 17, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026