DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Iran plans to move to ‘absolute digital isolation’ following massive protests, bloodshed: report

January 17, 2026
in News
Iran plans to move to ‘absolute digital isolation’ following massive protests, bloodshed: report

The Iranian government is reportedly planning to permanently sever its citizens from the global internet — confining them instead to a state-run system as part of a continued crackdown on dissent following the Islamic regime’s slaughtering of thousands of protesters.

Filterwatch, a digital rights monitoring project which has tracked Iranian internet censorship since 2012, says info it obtained indicates Tehran is moving toward “absolute digital isolation.”

The Islamic Republic is abandoning its old model of “mass internet censorship” in favor of a “permanent shift” toward a “sealed intranet” while “access to the outside world is granted only to those with security clearance,” Filterwatch said.

The Iranian government run by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is said to be planning to permanently cut off most of its citizens from the global internet.
The Iranian government run by Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei is said to be planning to permanently cut off most of its citizens from the global internet. KHAMENEI.IR/AFP via Getty Images

“This information blockade reflects the extreme securitization of the ‘Communication Blackhole’ project, making access to real news harder for domestic users than for external observers,” according to the censorship watchdog.

The move to crack down on internet access follows nationwide protests that erupted late last month as Iranians took to the streets over a spiraling economic crisis and soon began calling for regime change.

Iran's government reportedly killed thousands as part of a brutal crackdown on protests.
Iran’s government reportedly killed thousands as part of a brutal crackdown on protests. Getty Images

Demonstrations spread across all 31 provinces as security forces moved in with force to brutally crush the unrest.

At least 3,090 protesters have reportedly been killed as of Saturday, according to the US-based Human Right Activists News Agency, while other monitors say the true toll is likely far higher as authorities restrict information and intimidate families into silence.

To contain the uprising and block images, videos and coordination from spreading, the government imposed a near-total internet shutdown on Jan. 8, one of the longest and most severe blackouts in Tehran’s history — a move activists say now appears to be the trial run for a permanent digital lockdown.

The government severed Iranian citizens from internet access during recent demonstrations.
The government severed Iranian citizens from internet access during recent demonstrations. Jam Press/Karolina Wachowicz

President Trump had the US military poised for possible strikeson Iran earlier this month as the repressive clerical regime intensified its violent crackdown on protestors — with American forces shifting into high alert and an aircraft carrier ordered toward the region.

But the White House abruptly stood down from the brink on Friday after Tehran reportedly signaled it was postponing planned mass executions.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency has reported at least 2,003 protesters killed by mid-January.
The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency has reported at least 3,090 protesters killed by Jan. 17. Getty Images

Trump said that played a decisive role in his decision to halt military action.

However, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei responded by slamming Trump Saturday, calling him a “criminal” and murderer, and blaming the president for the deadly nationwide protests.

While the US strike plans were shelved, Trump administration officials stressed that all options remain on the table as the Islamic Republic maintains a hardline posture toward protesters.

The Post has sought comment from the White House and the Iranian government.

The post Iran plans to move to ‘absolute digital isolation’ following massive protests, bloodshed: report appeared first on New York Post.

Confessions of a Former Body Positivity Influencer
News

Confessions of a Former Body Positivity Influencer

by New York Times
February 16, 2026

Everyone’s talking about GLP-1s. They’ve become a game changer for losing weight and treating a spectrum of health issues. Today, ...

Read more
News

Obama Clarifies He ‘Saw No Evidence’ of Aliens While President, Despite Viral Comments Stating They’re Real

February 16, 2026
News

Judge Orders Trump Administration to Restore Displays About Slavery at Washington’s House

February 16, 2026
News

Auditioning to Beat Trump

February 16, 2026
News

Frederick Wiseman, Documentarian Who Exposed America’s Social Struggles, Dies at 96

February 16, 2026
Hyatt boss suddenly exits over Epstein ties

Hyatt boss suddenly exits over Epstein ties

February 16, 2026
Should Drug Companies Be Advertising to Consumers?

Should Drug Companies Be Advertising to Consumers?

February 16, 2026
‘No way out’: Young voters now regret voting for Trump

‘No way out’: Young voters now regret voting for Trump

February 16, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026