DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Suspect in Bondi Beach Massacre Is Charged With Murder and Terrorism

December 17, 2025
in News
Australia Begins Burying Victims of Bondi Shooting

The surviving suspect in the mass shooting at Bondi Beach in Sydney was charged on Wednesday with murder, terrorism and causing grievous bodily harm with intent to murder, the police said.

The shooting at a beachside Hanukkah celebration on Sunday left 15 people dead, including a 10-year-old girl and a Holocaust survivor who was a grandfather of 11. Two gunmen, who the police said were father and son, were shot by officers; one died at the scene, and the other was taken to a hospital. The authorities said the men appeared to have been motivated by Islamic State-inspired antisemitism.

The younger suspect, 24, had been in a coma until Tuesday afternoon, according to Mal Lanyon, the police commissioner for the state of New South Wales. He remains hospitalized under police guard, according to the police. He had a bail hearing through a video link and no bail was requested, according to a charge sheet from the court.

The man also faces charges of displaying a symbol of a terrorist organization and placing explosives with the intent to cause harm. Officials previously said that two black Islamic State flags and improvised explosive devices had been found in the vehicle that the gunmen drove to the site of the shooting.

The police have not officially released the suspects’ names, but Australian news outlets have widely reported the men to be Sajid Akram, 50, and his 24-year-old son, Naveed Akram.

The charges were announced as the first funerals for the victims of the shooting, Australia’s worst mass killing in three decades, began on Wednesday.

Throngs of mourners gathered for the funeral of Rabbi Eli Schlanger, one of the main organizers of the beachside event that became a scene of carnage after two gunmen opened fire with multiple long guns.

Two other funerals were scheduled Wednesday for other members of Bondi’s tight-knit Jewish community.

Dozens of other people were injured in the shooting, 20 of whom were still hospitalized as of Wednesday. Two police officers who responded to the attack were among the wounded, including a 22-year-old probationary officer who was just four months into the job, and who lost his vision in one eye, according to the New South Wales police.

As streams of mourners continued to visit the site of the shooting on Wednesday to pay their respects, some leveled harsh criticism at the government of Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, accusing him of not doing enough in response to warnings that dangerous antisemitism was on the rise in the country.

Josh Frydenberg, a former treasurer with the conservative Liberal Party, said Mr. Albanese should personally take responsibility for the deaths. “We as a Jewish community have been abandoned and left alone by our government,” he said.

Mr. Albanese has defended his record, noting that his government appointed Australia’s first antisemitism envoy and passed legislation to criminalize hate speech, and that he has condemned the apparent antisemitic motivations behind the attack.

“This was ISIS-inspired extremist ideology leading to a terrorist act that has resulted in tragic consequences for the Jewish community in Sydney with an attack taking place at an iconic destination,” he said on Wednesday. “I have made that front and center.”

Australian officials said on Wednesday that in addition to strengthening gun laws, they would take steps to bar mass demonstrations in situations following a terrorist attack. The measure appeared to be aimed at restricting large rallies like one in August in which demonstrators supporting Palestinians in Gaza took over the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Chris Minns, the premier of New South Wales, said he was proposing legislation that would enable police to reject an application for a protest on the grounds that it would stretch resources.

“Protests right now in Sydney would be incredibly terrible for our community. In fact, that would rip apart our community, particularly protests about international events,” he said.

Victoria Kim is the Australia correspondent for The New York Times, based in Sydney, covering Australia, New Zealand and the broader Pacific region.

The post Suspect in Bondi Beach Massacre Is Charged With Murder and Terrorism appeared first on New York Times.

Former South Korean President Yoon sentenced to life in prison over botched bid to bring in martial law
News

Former South Korean President Yoon sentenced to life in prison over botched bid to bring in martial law

by New York Post
February 19, 2026

Former South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol has been sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of insurrection ...

Read more
News

Who’s Accepted and Who’s Rejected Invites to Join Trump’s Board of Peace

February 19, 2026
News

Trump Goons’ Secret War Meeting Exposed as Tensions Spiral

February 19, 2026
Media

Insiders Spill on Future of Savannah Guthrie’s TV Career

February 19, 2026
News

AI’s top leaders got corralled into holding hands. It made for a photo op for the ages.

February 19, 2026
Bill Gates pulls out of India’s AI summit at the last minute in the latest blow to an event dogged by organizational chaos

Bill Gates pulls out of India’s AI summit at the last minute in the latest blow to an event dogged by organizational chaos

February 19, 2026
Google CEO Sundar Pichai says AI spending still makes sense despite bubble fears

Google CEO Sundar Pichai says AI spending still makes sense despite bubble fears

February 19, 2026
Feds seize guns, ammunition from Rhode Island trans shooter Robert Dorgan’s home and storage unit: reports

Feds seize guns, ammunition from Rhode Island trans shooter Robert Dorgan’s home and storage unit: reports

February 19, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026