DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
No Result
View All Result
DNYUZ
Home News

Trump’s Justice Department scrubs its website of news releases about Jan. 6 defendants

May 23, 2026
in News
Trump’s Justice Department scrubs its website of news releases about Jan. 6 defendants

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Justice has acknowledged removing from its website news releases about criminal cases related to the Jan. 6, 2021, riot and insurrection, calling the information about the prosecutions “partisan propaganda.”

The purge of news releases documenting criminal charges, convictions and sentencings is the latest step by the Trump administration to reimagine the history of the assault on the U.S. Capitol, when hundreds of supporters of President Trump stormed the building in an effort to halt the congressional certification of his 2020 election loss to Joe Biden.

Trump, on his first day back in office in January 2025, pardoned, commuted the prison sentences or vowed to dismiss the cases of all of the 1,500-plus people charged with crimes during the Capitol assault, including those convicted of sedition and of attacking officers with makeshift weapons such as flagpoles, a hockey stick and crutch. More than 100 police officers were injured, many of them seriously, and five died as a consequence.

On Monday, the Justice Department announced the creation of a $1.776-billion fund meant to compensate Trump allies who claim they were unjustly investigated and prosecuted. Acting Atty. Gen. Todd Blanche has not ruled out that Jan. 6 rioters convicted of violence will be eligible for payouts, prompting bipartisan anger in Congress.

After a journalist on Friday observed on the social media platform X that the Justice Department was “quietly” removing news releases on its website that were related to the Jan. 6 attack, including about a Texas man who pleaded guilty to assault and also faced separate state charges of soliciting a minor, the department responded through its “rapid response” account that there was “nothing ‘quiet’ about it.”

“We are proud to reverse the DOJ’s weaponization under the Biden administration. We will do everything in our power to make whole those who were persecuted for political purposes,” the post said. “This includes stripping DOJ’s website of partisan propaganda.”

Among the releases removed from the site were those concerning seditious conspiracy cases against members of the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers, far-right extremist groups, some of which resulted in convictions and long prison sentences.

The Justice Department, in an unopposed motion last month, asked a federal appeals court to vacate those seditious conspiracy convictions, a request that was granted Thursday. The department on Friday moved to dismiss the cases against the group members.

Trump was impeached for inciting an insurrection on Jan. 6 and was indicted on felony charges related to his actions. Those charges were dismissed after his 2024 election victory.

Tucker writes for the Associated Press.

The post Trump’s Justice Department scrubs its website of news releases about Jan. 6 defendants appeared first on Los Angeles Times.

Law enforcement authorities are responding to reports of shots fired near White House while Trump was inside
News

Law enforcement authorities are responding to reports of shots fired near White House while Trump was inside

by Fortune
May 24, 2026

Law enforcement authorities are responding to shots that were fired near the White House grounds, FBI Director Kash Patel said. ...

Read more
News

Shots reportedly fired near White House

May 23, 2026
News

Trump’s 3,711 trades point to multiple stock-market strategies

May 23, 2026
News

Blast zones identified as Garden Grove chemical tank inches toward explosion

May 23, 2026
News

With conditions worsening, how will the Orange County chemical crisis get resolved?

May 23, 2026
‘MAGA is done’: Trump’s own base turns on president over emerging Iran deal

‘MAGA is done’: Trump’s own base turns on president over emerging Iran deal

May 23, 2026
Brooks Nader and Livvy Dunne rock iconic red swimsuits in first ‘Baywatch’ reboot teaser trailer

Brooks Nader and Livvy Dunne rock iconic red swimsuits in first ‘Baywatch’ reboot teaser trailer

May 23, 2026
U.S. reaches limit of sanctions power in targeting Iran’s economy

U.S. reaches limit of sanctions power in targeting Iran’s economy

May 23, 2026

DNYUZ © 2026

No Result
View All Result

DNYUZ © 2026