Reps. Eric Swalwell (D-California) and Tony Gonzales (R-Texas) separately announced plans to depart from Congress on Monday ahead of possible expulsion votes related to allegations of sexual misconduct.
Swalwell, who has vehemently denied an accusation of sexual assault but acknowledged some past “mistakes in judgment,” said he would resign because it was wrong “for my constituents to have me distracted from my duties.”
“I will fight the serious, false allegation made against me,” he said in a statement. “However, I must take responsibility and ownership for the mistakes I did make.”
Shortly afterward, Gonzales said in a statement that he would “file my retirement from office” on Tuesday.
“There is a season for everything and God has a plan for us all,” said Gonzales, who has acknowledged an affair with a former member of his staff in violation of House rules.
Lawmakers had planned to introduce a resolution to expel Swalwell on Tuesday alongside one to expel Gonzales. The resolutions against both lawmakers could have triggered expulsion votes as early as Wednesday.
Swalwell faces accusations of sexual assault from a former staffer, first reported by the San Francisco Chronicle on Friday. Several other women also alleged sexual misconduct in interviews with CNN and other news outlets.
Gonzales is being investigated by the House Ethics Committee for having an affair with a staff member who later set herself on fire and died. He dropped his bid for reelection last month after acknowledging the affair with his former aide, but had said that he would serve out the rest of his term.
The post Reps. Swalwell, Gonzales leaving Congress ahead of possible expulsion votes appeared first on Washington Post.




