Maybe he was off-duty.
An ex-con wearing a “peacekeepers” vest took part in the vicious beating and robbery of a Chicago motorist over the Memorial Day weekend, according to authorities and reports.
Oscar Montes, 31, had on one of the special yellow neon vests — worn by a city-appointed group of “peacekeepers” meant to help suppress violence over the historically violent stretch — when the crime occurred Friday, outlets said.
As of Monday morning, 44 people were shot — nine fatally — in Chicago since the start of the Memorial Day weekend Friday.
Cops said Montes was part of a mob of nearly 10 people who yanked a driver out of his car before battering and robbing him.
When police arrived, Montes was allegedly trying to pull off his telltale garment.
Cops said Montes had snatched the victim’s cell phone and beat him with it, while an accomplice took the man’s wallet.
The victim sustained a serious injury to his eye, along with fractures, cuts and bruises. Police told the Chicago Sun-Times that the injured man suffered potentially irreversible vision loss.
Montes was released from prison earlier this month after serving a 10-year prison term for shooting at a rival gang member.
He was held without bail Sunday on charges of aggravated battery, robbery and vehicular invasion in Friday’s beating.
City and state leaders have heralded their “peacekeeper” initiative, asserting that its roughly 500 violence-prevention workers will help to de-escalate rampant violence in the Windy City.
Officials dedicated $11 million to fund the campaign, offering $100 daily stipends to former gang members to help stanch the mayhem that perennially plagues Chicago during the three-day weekend.
Backers argue that the program has helped to de-escalate volatile confrontations across Chicago.
The post Ex-con Chicago ‘peacekeeper’ helped beat, rob motorist: cops appeared first on New York Post.