The release date for Aaron Carterâs controversial memoir â which he tried to shut down before his untimely death â has been postponed.
âOut of respect for the Carter family, my client has decided to defer the further release of the book at this time,â Scott Atherton, the attorney representing Ballast Books and author Andy Symonds, said in a statement to Page Six.
âMr. Carter was not just a celebrity but also a father, a brother, a son, and a friend to many still grieving for him.â
Atherton alleged in the statement that Carter âwanted his story told,â and chose Symonds, a âwell-respected journalist, and author, to tell that story with all its beauty and rawness.â
The statement continued, âPublic attention has recently focused on a small number of interactions during Mr. Carterâs early years. The more important story is about Mr. Carterâs life and what people can learn from his professional success, personal struggles, and tragic passing.â
The news comes just days after reps for the late singer â who tragically died on Nov. 5 at the age of 34 â told Page Six that Carter attempted to stop the publication of âAaron Carter: An Incomplete Story of an Incomplete Life.âÂ
âAaron, in the midst of [working on the book], said, âI want nothing to do with thisâ and stopped, so the fact that the publisher is saying itâs green-lit, itâs not,â his publicist told us.
âThatâs against Aaronâs wishes.â
One explosive excerpt from the memoir, which was set to be posthumously released on Tuesday, claimed Carter spent a night at Michael Jackson’s home.
The author claimed Carter allegedly found the “Thriller” chart-topper at the foot of his bed in âtighty-whitey underwear.â
Another excerpt from the book addressed the âI Want Candyâ singerâs teen romance with Hilary Duff, allegingÂ he took her virginityÂ when she was about 13 years old.
The “Lizzie McGuire” alum, 35, slammed the âdisgustingâ memoir earlier this week.
âItâs really sad that within a week of Aaronâs death, thereâs a publisher that seems to be recklessly pushing a book out to capitalize on this tragedy without taking appropriate time or care to fact check the validity of his work,” she said in a statement on Thursday.
âTo water down Aaronâs life story to what seems to be unverified click-bait for profit is disgusting.â
Despite the backlash, Symonds remained steadfast that Carter âhiredâ him to âhelp tell the world his story.â
âThat story, while tragically cut short, was filled with good and bad,â he told Page Six earlier this week.
âHis life was far from pretty, and understandably certain people in the public eye donât want some of the stories Aaron tells in his book to come to light. That doesnât make them any less true or newsworthy.â
The author added, âIn addition to being cathartic for him, Aaron hoped this book would help others struggling with addiction and mental illness. I hope and believe it will do that.â
The former child star was found dead in the bathtub of his California home on Nov. 5.
He is survived by his 11-month-old son, Prince, whom he shared with his on-again, off-again fiancÃ©e, Melanie Martin.
Carterâs official cause of death is yet to be revealed, and is pending toxicology results. He reportedly died without a will.
The post Aaron Carter’s book publisher postpones release date ‘out of respect’ for family appeared first on Page Six.