A hilarious video of a “sassy” German short-haired pointer has gone viral on TikTok after she reluctantly showing affection for her owner. In the video, Stella, can be seen “begrudgingly” slamming her paw onto her owner, @jencosy, after being asked multiple times, while the caption reads, “When you’re trying to watch your show and your human is being super needy.”
One user commented, “If someone ever asks you to define the word ‘begrudgingly’ show them this.”
While the commands “sit” and “heel” can be extremely beneficial, “paw” is usually just a bonding exercise between you and your dog, and a way of getting them to earn a treat. Pet website Wag Walking suggest these tips for teaching your dog ‘paw’.
- Sit. Ask your dog to sit and offer him a treat once he does. This puts them in the proper position to shake as well as lets him know that you have treats on hand that he can work for.
- Empty Hand. Hold out an empty hand with your palm facing up, level with your dog’s chest.
- Sniff. Your dog may sniff your hand or even lick your hand, but make him wait and think about why your hand is where it is.
- Wait. Keep your hand open waiting for a different reaction besides sniffing or licking from your dog. He will eventually become curious and lift his paw up to touch your hand.
- Reward. As soon as your dog lifts his paw, even if he doesn’t touch your hand, praise him and offer him a treat.
- Repeat. Repeat this several times until each time you hold your hand out, your dog lifts his paw rather than sniffs or licks your hand first.
- Command. Begin to use the “shake” or “give me your paw” command each time you put your hand palm up near your dog.
- Practice. Practice this several times a day until your dog knows the command and the action that goes with the command. Each time you say “shake” or “give me your paw,” your dog should lift his paw and put it in your hand. Be sure to reward him each time for a job well done.
User Shawnna commented, “The blank staring while you’re bothering her again, then the quick side eye. She’s perfected her ‘unimpressed, leave me alone mother’ look.”
User Tyree Thompson 858 said, “Dog was like ‘HERE ! Just take it! along with my dignity and pride.’”
User Marler9 wrote, “You already painted my nails, now LET ME WATCH MY STORIES LINDA.”
Newsweek has reached out for comment.
The post Dog ‘Begrudgingly’ Giving Owner Paw While Watching TV Delights Internet appeared first on Newsweek.