Several people were injured following a shooting at a mall in Durham, North Carolina, Friday. One adult male victim remains in critical condition, police said.
Durham Police said in a news release Saturday that two other shooting victims—an adult male and a juvenile—”sustained non-life-threatening injuries.”
While three people were shot during the incident, three other people suffered non-life-threatening injuries that were not gunshot-related, said police, without specifying what their injuries were.
The shooting happened Friday at The Streets at Southpoint mall, and was reported at 3:23 p.m. Police said that off-duty officers working at the mall heard shots fired and requested assistance.
“The mall was completely locked down and officers located three people who had been shot. One of the shooting victims was a 10-year-old who suffered a bullet ricochet injury. The juvenile’s injuries do not appear to be life-threatening,” police said in a Friday news release.
Authorities said that the shooting “did not appear to be a random incident” and they had detained one person following the incident.
In their update on Saturday, police noted that no charges have been filed yet.
“There are no further details available at this time,” police wrote in the news release that was sent to Newsweek.
On Saturday afternoon, police announced on Facebook that they were investigating the shooting.
“The mall is being evacuated and will be closed while DPD investigates the incident. Motorists are advised to avoid the area. There is no further threat at the mall,” Durham Police wrote.
According to the News & Observer, the mall was closed Friday following the incident and reopened late Saturday morning. The newspaper reported that the mall issued a statement Friday evening saying that it was “saddened and outraged that we were the location for such a senseless act of violence among a group of individuals.”
“Right now we are focusing on the well-being of those impacted by today’s incident. We are grateful to the Durham Police Department for their diligence and partnership. We will offer support to their investigation,” it added.
Police said that Friday’s shooting involved two groups of people who knew each other, the News & Observer reported. They said one weapon was recovered at the scene of the shooting.
Durham Police Chief Patrice Andrews told reporters that there are “several people we want to be able to locate and speak with” following the incident.
“We will be making several arrests, I’m certain, during the course of this investigation,” Andrews said, per the newspaper.
The post Black Friday Mall Shooting Sees Child Hit by Bullet Ricochet, Man in Critical Condition appeared first on Newsweek.