Queen Elizabeth II has “reluctantly” canceled this week’s trip to Northern Ireland after receiving “medical advice to rest for the next few days,” Buckingham Palace said Wednesday.
“Her Majesty is in good spirits and is disappointed that she will no longer be able to visit Northern Ireland, where she had been due to undertake a series of engagements today and tomorrow,” the palace said in a statement to Page Six.
The 95-year-old Queen was due to make the rounds on Wednesday and Thursday and attend a church service in the city of Armagh along with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, but she is now resting at Windsor Castle.
“The Queen sends her warmest good wishes to the people of Northern Ireland and looks forward to visiting in the future,” the statement concluded.
A source close to the palace told CNN that the monarch’s health issues are “not COVID-related” but did not specify what is wrong.
The Queen was reportedly in good health as recently as September, though she was spotted using a cane for the first time in 17 years during an event at Westminster Abbey on Oct. 12.
A source told Page Six at the time that Her Majesty only had the cane “for her comfort.”
Politico reported in September that the palace has long had a 10-day plan for when the Queen dies, which includes a memorial service with the Prime Minister that should appear “spontaneous” and preparations for crisis mode if London becomes swarmed with mourners.
Elizabeth II is the longest-reigning monarch in the history of Great Britain. Prince Charles, 72, is the heir apparent to the British throne as her eldest son.
The post Queen Elizabeth II ‘reluctantly’ cancels trip over medical advice to rest appeared first on Page Six.