Nick Kyrgios says the United States Tennis Association is being “selfish” by reportedly pressing ahead with the US Open on its original dates, from 31 August to 13 September.
Reports on Monday said the USTA is set to confirm the tournament would go ahead without fans despite New York City still recording hundreds of new Covid-19 cases every day. Novak Djokovic, Ash Barty and Simona Halep have all said they would have concerns about playing the tournament under the health protocols designed to keep them safe.
Kyrgios, who has been in lockdown in Australia since the pandemic brought a halt to the ATP Tour, appeared more concerned about having to undergo 14 days of self-isolation upon his return home.
“People that live in the US of course are pushing [for] the Open to go ahead” the world No 40 posted on Twitter. “‘Selfish.’ I’ll get my hazmat suit ready for when I travel from Australia and then have to quarantine for two weeks on my return.”
Kyrgios called the ATP Tour selfish earlier this month for pressing ahead with plans to play the US Open while the virus had not been contained and the US was dealing the unrest caused by the death of George Floyd.
The 25-year-old tweeted Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal last week to ask if they felt the tournament should go ahead. He received no public replies.
The American player Danielle Collins has called on the event to go ahead so players have the chance to earn money again and criticised Djokovic for his opposition to the protocols proposed by organisers. “It’s easy when someone’s made $150 million throughout their career to try and tell people what to do with their money, and then turn down playing in the US Open,” she posted on social media last week.
The post ‘Selfish’: Nick Kyrgios slams US Open organisers over tournament plans appeared first on The Guardian.