A Wisconsin woman is spreading an urgent warning to dog owners after her beloved French bulldog died from eating a popular $5 house plant.
Devastated Kate Wagner said her “spunky and energetic” pup Lily became critically ill after munching on leaves from a sago palm, a common plant that can be extremely poisonous to animals and humans if ingested.
“[Lily] was a ray of sunshine in our home that is missed dearly,” Wagner told The Post on Tuesday.
In a Facebook post earlier this month, Wagner described her ordeal, saying she had no idea the 6-inch plant she bought from a garden center last summer would ultimately become her “worst nightmare.”
“I have seen this plant for sale on the shelves at Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot sitting among other harmless household plants with zero warning label attached,” she wrote.
Wagner’s one-and-a-half-year-old pooch was left fighting for her life after getting into the greenery, and had to be put on a feeding tube and medication schedule.
She ultimately passed away on May 16 after a long fight.
“She fought hard, loved hard, and gave us a couple butt wiggles just before she just couldn’t fight any longer,” Wagner wrote.
“We loved her so very much and gave her all the love and care in the weeks since the incident we could possibly give. We are truly devastated.”
Now, Wagner said she’s trying to spread the word to keep this from happening to other pets.
“If you are a houseplant lover, please research your house plants prior to purchasing. Even if you think the house plant is in a secure location, mischievous little paws may still get into trouble,” she wrote.
Wagner also told The Post that she’d like to encourage garden centers to label toxic plants.
She pointed to a tool on the ASPCA’s website about houseplants that can be poisonous to pets, which would have “saved Lily’s life in hindsight.”
“I wish I would have known,” she said.
The post ‘Worst nightmare’: Woman’s French bulldog dies after eating popular houseplant appeared first on New York Post.