Pulmonologist James Mahoney, who worked at the University Hospital of Brooklyn and Kings County Hospital Center, died on April 27. He was 62 and had been a physician for almost four decades, reported The New York Times.
Mahoney ignored calls from family and friends to retire from his job as the outbreak intensified, according to the newspaper. He developed a fever and cough in early April. Both are symptoms of the disease that has now killed more than 90,000 people in the U.S.
Even after testing positive for the virus, Mahoney continued holding telemedicine sessions with patients while self-isolating. He was hospitalized at University Hospital on April 20 and died a week later at Tisch Hospital.
Mahoney “ran in when others ran out,” his older brother Dr. Melvin Mahoney, who stopped seeing patients at the start of the outbreak, told Newsday. “He died doing what he loved to do best. He would not have it any other way.”
Other co-workers called Mahoney, a father of three, “a legend” and “our Jay-Z” for Black medical professionals.
We lost a legend @KingsCountyHosp yesterday from #COVID19. Dr. James Mahoney, ICU attending physician, who was about to retire, but stayed on to help his colleagues care for patients with #COVID19. The @KingsCountyHosp family is devastated. pic.twitter.com/d2NF5Bygsr
— uché blackstock (@uche_blackstock) April 28, 2020
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- 7 essential pieces of relationship advice for couples in quarantine
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- How to tell if you need to start doing online therapy
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
The post ‘Legend’ Doctor Refuses Retirement To Fight Pandemic, Dies From COVID-19 appeared first on Huffington Post.