“Why are governors today begging the president for money to test and trace?” he asked. “The only thing that we have the most of in this world is deaths when it comes to COVID.”
Indeed, the United States has the highest death toll from the infection, passing 80,000 on Monday. And when it comes to testing, America is well below a number of nations on a per capita basis, including Denmark, Italy, New Zealand, Germany and Canada.
Cuomo warned Trump that this was “no time to pretend” as none of the states reopening had the capacity to test and trace those who may be ill to stop new outbreaks. And he called out the president for his shifting rhetoric on testing.
See more of his monologue below:
“There’s no time to pretend. We have not met the moment. We have not prevailed on testing,” says @chriscuomo, refuting President Trump’s claim of victory against the virus. “None of the states that have re-opened, none, has the capacity to test and trace the way they need to.” pic.twitter.com/jsI3Lomx7F
— Cuomo Prime Time (@CuomoPrimeTime) May 12, 2020
A HuffPost Guide To Coronavirus
- Stay up to date with our live blog as we cover the COVID-19 pandemic
- What happens if we end social distancing too soon?
- What you need to know about face masks right now
- Will there be a second stimulus check?
- Lost your job due to coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know.
- Why it takes so long to make a coronavirus vaccine
- Parenting during the coronavirus crisis?
- The HuffPost guide to working from home
- What coronavirus questions are on your mind right now? We want to help you find answers.
- Everyone deserves accurate information about COVID-19. Support journalism without a paywall — and keep it free for everyone — by becoming a HuffPost member today.
The post Chris Cuomo Hits Trump’s Coronavirus Claims With A Blunt Reality Check appeared first on Huffington Post.