Floyd Mayweather put boxing fans at the edge of their seats on Thursday night after the 42-year-old legend took to his Instagram page and hinted on a possible return to the fighting scene next year.
The announcement made by the former five-division champion came after he posted about the collaboration between him and the UFC. “Money” Floyd Mayweather Jr. was spotted courtside with UFC President Dana White at the Staples Center on Wednesday during the LA Clippers-Boston Clippers NBA game.
In the post, the Michigan-born boxing great said, “ Dana White and I working together again to bring the world another spectacular event in 2020.”
Interestingly, this latest development came out just days after Mayweather was interviewed by Rory Carroll of Reuters and professedly confirmed his retirement. “I’ve got calls to get back into the ring, but my health is my wealth,” Mayweather said. ” Boxing is a very, very brutal sport. In the last few years, a lot of fighters have died inside that squared circle. You have got to know when to hang it up. I had a great career.”
Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s last notable fight happened in 2017 when he put on a boxing clinic against MMA superstar Conor McGregor. Since then, the two-time Ring magazine Fighter of the Year has not fought anyone inside the ring as he remained undefeated in 50 professional fights.
But with the announcement following up the Dana White meeting, there is a huge noise surrounding both Boxing and MMA fans that Mayweather could indeed come out of retirement – but this time, he’ll step in the Octagon.
Bleacher Report said, “With the possibility of make(ing) a switch to mixed martial arts, we could be looking at a potential McGregor rematch, with this one coming in the Octagon.”
The post Boxing Breaking News: Floyd Mayweather Jr. Says He’s ‘Coming Out Of Retirement In 2020’ appeared first on International Business Times.