Two suspects in gang-related murders bolted from a California jail over the weekend, sparking a manhunt, according to authorities and published reports.
Santos Samuel Fonseca, 21, and Jonathan Salazar, 20 — who were both awaiting trial on murder charges in two unrelated cases and numerous other felony counts — escaped from the Monterey County Adult Detention Facility early Sunday, the local sheriff’s office said in a statement.
It was not immediately clear how the pair, who have been in custody since last year, managed to sneak out of the facility, but authorities said they are investigating.
“Our focus, and resources, are dedicated to locating and returning Fonseca and Salazar to custody,” police said.
Fonseca is charged with the June 2018 death of Lorenzo Gomez Acosta, 37, who was on the phone with his wife in Mexico when he was killed, The Salinas Californian reported. Three days later, Fonseca allegedly gunned down Ernesto Garcia Cruz, 27.
Fonseca told investigators his gang leader had ordered him to kill someone to prove his loyalty to the “Boronda gang,” the paper reported in April.
Salazar was arrested in connection to the October 2017 shooting death of Jaime Martinez, 20, who was driving with his girlfriend and 18-month-old son at the time, the Californian reported. The woman was treated at a hospital and released for her injuries, and the toddler was not hurt.
That shooting was also being investigated as gang-related, according to the Californian.
Fonseca is 5-foot-7 and weighs 150 pounds, while Salazar is 5-foot-7 and 170 pounds, police said. Both are Hispanic with black hair and brown eyes.
“If you see these men, call 911 immediately,” the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office wrote. “Do not approach them as they are considered dangerous.”
The post Two suspects in gang-related murders escape California jail: police appeared first on New York Post.