A team employee of the Los Angeles Angels supplied pitcher Tyler Skaggs with opiates before the player died suddenly of a drug overdose in July, ESPN reported Saturday.
Skaggs, 27, died in his Texas hotel room July 1 from choking on his own vomit. An autopsy found fentanyl, oxycodone and alcohol in his body.
The death prompted a federal investigation, and Angels public relations rep Eric Kay told probers he gave Skaggs oxycodone and abused the drug with him for years, the network said.
Kay, the team’s director of communications, also said two team officials were told about the player’s drug use long before his death, sources familiar with the investigation told ESPN.
Kay told agents of the Drug Enforcement Administration that five additional players used opiates while on the Angels, the sources said.
Kay’s attorney, Michael Molfetta, confirmed the details of Kay’s statements, which DEA agents recorded in separate meetings in Dallas and Los Angeles in late September, according to the network’s “Outside the Lines” program.
Kay told investigators he illegally obtained six oxy pills and gave Skaggs three of them a day or two before the team left California for the road trip to Texas where the pitcher died, it said.
Kay told the agents he didn’t think the pills he got for Skaggs were the same ones the pitcher took the day he died.
Skaggs texted Kay the day the team left for Texas, asking for more pills, but Kay didn’t have any more to give him, the sources said.
The post Angels staffer gave Tyler Skaggs opiates before pitcher ODed: report appeared first on New York Post.